Pages

Thursday, July 11, 2013

Dying a Purse

Things have been a little busy lately and I haven't had time to post my recent crafts but here is one I did a few months ago. I bought a leather purse for $1 at a estate sale and didn't like how it was white, had yellow marks on it and reminded me an old lady. I had wanted to dye it into a cream nude color but couldn't find a that color at Hobby Lobby so I decided to make it black.

white, stain covered

new, shiny and black



Materials
-leather dye
-wool daubers
-a leather purse
-newspaper

Directions
1. Clean the purse off with a damp cloth, removing any dirt, dust or crumbs.
2. Paint the purse with the leather dye, letting it dry completely in between coats, I did 3-4 coats (be careful of any hardware on the purse, zippers etc. I decided to make the zippers black as well but that is optional.
3. Show off your new leather purse, that cost less than $10!

Things I learned
-its best to find a purse with less hardware and a simpler design
-it might save some time to find larger brushes that can cover more area
-find a place to hang the purse to dry or else one side will have to be done last (as that is the side it will be lying on to dry!)
-time to go shopping at a thrift store for some more purses to dye!


No comments:

Post a Comment